29 April 2009

I can see daylight & a note to the Hains Point crew

Retweet @ my small hipster friend: hey stupid piece of shit bike dude! I'm happy you fell off your bike because you hurt my feelings. At least your shirt matches your shorts.

Note to the Hains Point guys: I know Wednesday night training laps are important to Sunday results, but please do not run over and/or kill the "little girl" on her blue Trek WSD. Also note that she does not like being called a "little girl." She may be small in stature, but she packs a damn wallop.

In other news, I can finally see the end of the semester. My last term paper is due Monday evening, and I've only got 32 hours of work, a race, and a show to take care of between now and then. If anyone has any insight on what role elections play in enhancing or diminishing the security and development of new African democracies, feel free to let me know all about it. Please limit your comments to 20 pages. Thanks.

What I'm really looking forward to in the next few weeks is a crit omnium in Knoxville, Tn, over Mother's Day weekend. I haven't seen the fambily or those beautiful hills in a while, and it'll be fun to race with a totally different crew to see how MABRA competition stacks up against TBRA. Pretty favorably, I'd imagine. But if anyone is up for a roadie to do three races in two days, I've got a place to stay, a car, and a good feeling about a 1-2 finish. Check out the TomatoHead Omnium if you're interested.

That's all for now... back to solving (or at least acknowledging and dissecting) the world's problems.

Listening to 2 Atoms in a Molecule by Noah and the Whale. They're playing this weekend at the Black Cat (same night as PB&J, dammit). Go see them.

Addendum to the HP reference above, provided by my small hipster friend:

6 comments:

  1. >>>>>If anyone has any insight on what role elections play in enhancing or diminishing the security and development of new African democracies, feel free to let me know all about it.

    One man, one vote, one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) When was the Hains incident? I saw a helmetless girl nearly take out a rider because she couldn't stay to the f'ing right on Tuesday night. The girl, a car, a group, a squirrel, and some squirrelly riding were involved. A dude dove into the grass to avoid crashing her, kinda chivalrous on his part.

    B) You're a GW grad student? Why haven't you been racing for GW Cycling?!?! Wanna join the squad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a response by Tuesday's helmetless girl. I was struck by the nice weather on Tuesday evening as I rode my bike down the block to return a library book and figured I'd coast down to Haines point for a leisurely ride in a circle before I came home. I usually wear a helmet but the one I purchased a little while ago is actually too big for my head and I've been meaning to find the time to get to a store and replace it, but that's a whole different story. Yes, all small-headed 5'2" of me on my tiny bike "nearly took out a rider". The guy crashed into the grass to avoid crashing into the two women walking side by side (those two orange dots) to the right of me.

    This is all part of an increasingly hostile feeling that I am getting from you guys in your matching shirts/shorts combo with your fast bikes. On my bike ride to work along the Mount Vernon trail, I'm constantly avoiding someone racing down a windy hill, merging into the left lane to pass, coming straight at me at 30 miles an hour like we're playing a game of chicken. 8am is way to early to feel like I'm playing a freaking game of space invaders. As much as I sometimes don't know what's going on around me, I would like to think that a biker coming up behind me would be aware of me and not try to pass me on the right. And when you say 'couldn't stay to the f'ing right', I think you mean, couldn't stay out of your f'ing way'. I sure am happy your buddy fell to the grass instead of taking out the poor women walking who let out such a high pitched shrill when they turned around and saw him coming at them full speed.

    Of course I could be getting the facts wrong since the shit when down behind my line of vision but I still contest that I did nothing wrong, as I had been riding just to the right of the middle line on the road to avoid the walkers in front of me for a while before I was approached by your group. I'm still new to my bike and the owner of this blog can attest to this fact after the one time he saved me from certain death-by-lane-changing van. I hope as I get more comfortable with things I'll come to appreciate you guys for sending a nice breeze past me. Just make sure it's coming by on my left. Until then I'll be strapping some pillows to myself and wrapping them up with reflector tape. Anyone know where can I get one of those "Caution Wide Load" signs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see a need for anyone to overeact to the situation. Hains is always like this and you gotta be ready. Although I wasn't a part of it I was surely right behind the mayhem that involved a big dude with an ego that didn't stop for you, my buddy who dove into the grass to avoid you after being cut off, or a passing car. The guy that bumped shoulders with you was NOT in a group, much less in any team's kit. I know because I saw my new friend carlos dive into the dirt and checked up on him, then rode a few laps with him, an Artemis guy, and my friend from GW, none of us had been riding together, it was just a happenstance Charlie foxtrtot. The guy who stormed past didn't nearly piss you off as he did to us, trust me. A guy ended up on the ground so you'd stay upright.

    Oh, and I'd leave the pillows on the bed, but take your brain bucket with you anywhere in DC. Too risky here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this again I should clarify two things ... (a) I apologize if anyone said some hostile things on twitter to anyone else, haha. I just met carlos last night but I'll talk to him about this so we can all keep cool heads when we run into each other again. It's a new jersey for him, too. Ever needs to understand that situations like this aren't personal if youre representing a team. A jersey doesn't steer a bike, a person does.

    (b). Regarding the diagram, hahahaha, this was a bunch of cat 5s colliding into a group, not riding as one. Super fast? Nah, just a nice tailwind, trust me. The fast guys show up at noon.

    ReplyDelete